Saturday, April 01, 2006

On Cambodia



These are a few of the children of the PEPY school. These are the faces I will never forget. These are the individuals who now have the chance to receive an education thanks to the efforts of my friends Greta and Daniela.
For the past 4 or 5 months I have been helping these women by maintaining their website (www.pepy.org). I have been doing this as a favor for Greta and, honestly, while working on the projects that came down the pike, I never really thought about what the PEPY Ride was doing. In my defense, it's difficult to think of a school in a place you have never been and mentally picture the children of a race you have never seen. But when the opportunity arose for me to visit this foreign land, I jumped at the chance.

Here are some pictures:



The walkway to the temple of Angkor Wat.




Preah Neak Pean




Preah Khan





Beng Mealea


Our unofficial guide through Beng Mealea



These are a few of my 200+ photos. These were all from the three days we spent "templing" outside of Siem Reap. The last night I spent in Cambodia I went to a traditional Khmer wedding. Actually, it was the third and last day of a traditional Khmer wedding. The third day is dedicated to eating, drinking, dancing, and drinking. I didn't take my camera with but I'm trying to get some pictures that Kristian (one of the PEPY Riders) took. The hostess of our guesthouse (http://www.earthwalkers.no/) was invited to the wedding and was instructed to bring all her western friends along. The bride and groom got a real kick out of the 12 or so white people who came to the wedding. In our group there were Norwegians, Canadians, Americans, and a Briton. Initially, we drew many furtive glances, but by the end of the night, strangers were walking up to our table to play their drinking games with us. And if the Norwegians I met in Cambodia were in any way representative of the general population of Norway, then it is truly a blessed land...and my next vacation will be to Oslo.

I'll leave it as this for now. In my next post I hope to write something about the Khmer (cambodian) people and my experiences with them as a whole.

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Peter!!! It truly looks as though you had an eye-opening experience on your journey, and I am really happy that you got to go out into the world again and do that. I'm sure I speak for anyone else reading when I say that I'm green with envy! Any more pictures you have to put up would be fantastic, and I look forward to seeing them. :)